Sunday 25 October 2009

Krackow, Poland




Lets start out by saying, "I love Krakow!"  It was a mix between the people I met, the hostel I stayed in and Krakow itself.  I arrived in Krakow by train over two hours late because there was an early snow falling on the city and no one was ready for it, myself included.  I met three other Aussie backpackers at the train station, ironically heading to the same hostel, so we made our way through the slush together to Greg & Tom Hostel, Jr.  I decided to get up early the first day and see the Auschwitz & Birkinau concentration camps.  Something I wanted to see, but not really...  Most of the day was filled with silence as we made our way through the two camps, located not too far away from each other.  The Israeli Prime Minister decided to show up that day as well, making things complicated for everyone else.  I drank plenty of beer that night.
  Krakow itself is a beautiful mid-evil city that was virtually untouched by the war, leaving the city with all of its original mid-evil architecture.  Krakow has plenty of things to offer and endless ways that you can choose to spend your time.  The nightlife is pretty addict
ing as well, I added an extra night to my stay.  I took a walking tour of the city, which introduced me to many of the main focal points.   The Wawel (Pronounced "Va-Vel") Castle sits high upon a hill in the city and is a place where you can get great views and learn some history as well.  Much of Schindlers's List was also filmed in Krakow, in the Kazimers neighborhood, there were a few references to the film throught out the tour.  Pope John Paul II is an icon of the city. Having been from Krakow, you can see pictures, statues and memorials of him everywhere you go.    I moved onto Warsaw after Krakow, but it took a few days to over Krakow, I missed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment