Friday 30 October 2009

Gdansk, Poland


I headed farther north from Warsaw, about as far north in Poland as you can get to the city of Gdansk.  Gdansk is a harbor city on the Baltic Sea know for amber washing up on its beaches after storms.  From the amber, beautiful jewelry and sculptures are made, as well as dinosaurs in the movie Jurassic Park, lol.  I was welcomed at the train station by my friends George and Arty's Aunt Mary and Uncle Andrew, who were my wonderful hosts for my stay in Gdansk.   They live in a small island town, about a 15 min walk to the beach.  They showed me around Gdansk and two other neighboring cities, which have a lot offer, especially in the warmer months.  There was a  pretty significant language barrier since only Mary spoke English, but very little.   It was amazing how we managed to get by though.  They arranged for a friend of theirs, Magda, who spoke English to accompany us for one day.  I had a great time in Gdansk.  Pictured to the left is an old grain tower locatedin Old Town, Gdansk.  To the right is the Malbork Castle, which was severely bombed out in WWII, but later rebuilt.  It was very foggy the day we toured the castle.  This was the end of Poland and the great hospitality that the people of their county offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment