Sunday 22 November 2009

Budapest, Hungry 11/8 - 11/11



I arrived in Budapest, with little knowledge of the city at all but ended up loving it! Unfortunately, it was the one time in my trip that I had a schedule to keep as I was meeting a friend in Dublin, Ireland and I could not extend my stay.  With my late evening flight, I had a little more than 3 days and it was not enough.  One of the main attractions to Budapest are the natural hot spring baths that are scattered around the area.  You can easily spend the better part of a day relaxing and taking advantage of the amenities at one of these baths, as I did.  After spending a nice relaxing day at the bath, I decided to go "caving", which was an evening trip just outside of the city.  I had not idea what I was getting into, but I was craving some adventure so I decided to check it out.  Like I said, I had no idea what I was getting into.  This adventure ended up being a 3 hour expedition of pretty intense crawling,wiggling and sweating through the tightest spaces I have ever been in to.  It is hard to explain through the blog.  I was so damn sore the next day, I almost went back to the baths!  Instead, I decided to walk it off and take in the city.  Budapest is actually two cities Buda and Pest, seperated by the Danube river.  I spent most of my time on the Pest side, but there is a beautiful castle on the Buda side.  Unfortunately, with the shortened daylight hours, I just ran out of time.  I may try to make it back to Budapest before my trip comes to an end.


1 comment:

  1. Definitely try to get back to Budapest... Lake Balaton, a popular resort place about an hour from Budapest, is pretty cool. Not sure what is like now off season though. Did you go to the open market in the old train station and see the selection of meats hanging, waiting to be bought?

    ReplyDelete