Thursday 14 January 2010

Madrid, Spain 12/12 - 12/13

I had heard mixed reviews of Madrid from other travelers, but decided I should hold off on any judgment until I experience it for myself. I caught a night train from Lisbon, which dropped me off in Madrid, not as well rested as I thought, at around 8am. I checked into my hostel, caught a quick nap and hit the city. After walking around for a few hours and stopping to eat some tapas along the way, I came to the conclusion that Madrid was nice, but nothing super special. It had only been a few hours, but I was not really feeling the vibe. I decided to spend some time in a real nice city park, watch some rec soccer being played and enjoy the rather mild weather. I wondered through some pretty nice pedestrian streets on the way back towards the hostel, enjoying the Christmas lights and festivities going on in the various squares along the way.
I decided that I would take a bus to Toledo, a historic town about 45 minutes outside of Madrid the next day. Toledo had been highly recommended to me by a bunch of people, so I decided to go check it out. When I arrived in Toledo, I could immediately tell what the attraction to this town was. Its an old world town perched upon a hill with a river winding around the town's permimeter. I spent a whole day here exploring the city through its narrow, winding streets between the old stone buildings stopping along the way to check out the great views from the cliff side parks. It was great to check out a town where the original buildings and landscape has not been changed since the day it was constructed. It helped you imagine how people lived in a time where things were much simpler.
I caught a late evening bus back to Madrid that night and got my back pack ready for my final and much anticipated destination of Barcelona.
The top left picture is looking at the Tagus river from a cliff side park in Toledo.  The bottom left is a shot of a street from underneath a covered walk way.  The top right pic is a shot from a city square filled with people in Madrid.  The bottom right pic is a shot of the sunset in Toledo, check out the crazy clouds!

No comments:

Post a Comment